Friday, November 13, 2009

Time is Money

Today I'm thankful for a few things I re-learned about efficiency. I get excited about this topic sometimes because I figure, the more efficiently I can finish work, the more time I have for PLAY. And real play happens when you can throw the clock away for awhile and just enjoy. Recently, I was at my sister Kristine's house. She is a wonderful person with many talents. One of those talents is that she is just naturally efficient (plus she works hard too). So I picked up a couple things while I was up there that I've been doing and they really do help. One is that she does the dishes right after they are used. Dinner's over? Dishes are next. Had a snack? Where's the spongee!!? Doing it right after works well for lots of very boring but true reasons which I will spare you.

The other thing is she works fast. She's fast at many things: running, taking the ball down the basketball court, quick wit, etc. But she also works quickly. She just puts an energy into things that sometimes I forget to add or decide to leave out. The result is a dawdle. Kristine is not a dawdler. Hmmmmm, can't say the same for my natural tendencies. Anyway, after being around her for awhile there was new oomph in my energies towards certain chores. And it makes a difference.

Along the same lines, another smart tip from the Kristinometer is to work on things early rather than close to deadline. For example, we did a project that took quite a bit of time while we were up there. Because we started at the beginning of the trip we could work on it a little each night. It really wouldn't have gotten done if we had waited until the end, because it turned out to be harder than we thought. Anyway, enough on this one today. I'm grateful for any tips and tidbits on efficiency. If you have something particularly on your mind, send it my way! I'm sure it's something I do the slow way. By the way, thanks on your meal efficiency tips. They have worked mauvelously. I feel more in control of time spent for that part of life!

1 comment:

Kristine said...

ha, ha, ha. I didn't expect to see this up on your blog. And this is coming from someone who I look up to in so many ways. Whoever this Kristine character is sounds like a smart, beautiful mother who just wants to make it one day at a time without pulling her hair out. Thanks sister your seriously GREAT.